Photojournalism and an undignified Beth Moore

I was formerly a news journalist, working at my own weekly I'd started and also worked as a features writer and photographer for the Athens daily. I was big on journalism ethics. One of the things I'd seen happen increasingly over the years is that when a reporter, photojournalist, or editor didn't like the person being reported on, they would deliberately use disparaging adjectives, or if in a photo, select a photo that showed the person on a bad light or with a goofy expression, or in some other way, undignified.

What I understood as proper photo-journalism ethics is reflected in this excerpted photo ethics statement from the National Press Photographer's Association-
  • Be accurate and comprehensive in the representation of subjects.
  • Be complete and provide context when photographing or recording subjects. Avoid stereotyping individuals and groups. Recognize and work to avoid presenting one's own biases in the work.
  • Treat all subjects with respect and dignity. ...
  • Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. ...
I personally believe that journalism and photography ethics should be applied to bloggers, including lay-bloggers with no journalism associations. And ethics is always the watchword for Christians. (Psalm 25:21).

When a newspaper publishes letters to the editor which are opinions from readers, they don't publish all of them. A large city newspaper might receive hundreds of letters to the editor or emails opining on a recent report. Did you ever wonder how they decide to publish this one and not that one? They take the preponderance of opinion and publish a representational number. If there's an election coming and 100 people write in that John Q. Politician is good, and 30 people write that John Q. Politician is bad, they might publish 3 of the good and one of the bad. It's representative of the situation. That's what newspapers do, reflect the general situation.

What I try to do when representing a person I'm blogging about in photography is find a provided head shot the subject has proffered, or some other representationally accurate photo. By that I mean it is a photo showing the person of his correct age and represents the usual stance or expression of the person. In other words, paparazzi try to find the ONE photo of a celebrity where they are in dishabille, or wearing casual clothes that make them look worse than they usually do. How does the person usually look? If you are blogging about a person regarding their work, then show them in work clothes. If you are blogging about a stay-at-home mom, then casual clothes and home setting is appropriate. Et cetera and so forth.

Representationally accurate....and now we get to Beth Moore.

Five years ago I wrote my first blog critical of Beth Moore and her teaching. As a brief rabbit trail I'll say that back then it was one of the earliest essays anywhere on the internet critical of Beth Moore. Her teaching was bad but more subtly bad back then, and I remember having an excessively difficult time finding other essays, especially written by men, that confirmed what I saw and understood to be negative about her teaching. Five years later we all see the devastatingly satanic decline in her teaching. In this essay I'll double down on one of the most troubling things that has declined, her teaching style.

Five years ago I'd written in part 2 of the series, "Troubled By Beth Moore's Teaching" that I was troubled by her lack of dignity in teaching. Of all the things I'd written negatively about, her legalism, twisting scriptures, lack of transparency etc, my critical words about her teaching style drew the most heat from Moore supporters. I was excoriated for even daring to say it. Many women who wrote to me said it was unfair and improper even to rate her on style.

No, I'd pushed back, the Bible has much to say about a woman's dignity in public. Comportment is addressed for each gender and at every age, and is especially important for leaders and teachers. This issue is specifically addressed in multiple verses.

Instructions specifically to be dignified:
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, (Titus 2:7)

The Greek word for dignity in the Titus 2 verse means:
"solemnly respectable." reflects what has been transformed by God and exhibits "moral and spiritual gravity (gravitas)" – like what attends a deep, godly character.
Instructions for Ministers:
"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;" (1 Timothy 3:2-3)

Instructions for wives of ministers:
"Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things." (1 Timothy 3:11)

Instructions for aged men:
"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world." (Titus 2:11-12)

Instructions for aged women:
"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips, nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may train the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." (Titus 2:3-5)

Do you get the idea that the church leaders, teachers, and elders should be dignified? I hope so. These and other scriptures are clear on the subject. Anyone who has seen a Beth Moore clip knows that her self-control and circumspectness is less than optimal. Her bio says she 'teaches with energy and passion.' She even calls herself obnoxious. I call it undignified. And undignified teaching is a poor witness.

Lately I've been seeing photos of Mrs Moore in strange and wild positions, gesticulating madly like she's beating wasps. She stands in a hula hoop. She zanily sweeps the stage. She has participants come on stage and hold placards. She cuts up. She's undignified.

But these photos, are they doing a Christian disservice to Moore? Let's take a look at a few.

I decided to scan through a number of recent Moore clips. I chose different venues. I looked at Moore on a large-venue stage, intimate setting, and being interviewed. I looked at 11 or 12 of them, and noticed the same thing in each. The preponderance of her teaching style now is zany and undignified. And worse, remember that Mrs Moore is a 58-year-old grandmother. We cannot attribute her teaching style to over-exuberant youth. She should be applying Titus 2 verses to her life and her teaching behavior so as to demonstrate it to the generation coming up. Sadly, Mrs Moore completely fails in this regard.









To be fair and ethical, I looked at an equal number of clips from Kay Arthur, whom I consider to be a dignified female Christian teacher. I looked at an equal number of settings Mrs Arthur was teaching in as well- the interview, an intimate setting, a large-venue. In none of them did I find Mrs Arthur zanily sweeping the stage, standing in a hula hoop, or otherwise using inappropriate props for a Bible lesson or a Christian speech. In none of them did I see her facial expression veer to the clownish and comical, and in none of them did I see wild gesticulations like beating wasps or arms flailing as when walking into a spider web.

I also looked at Martha Peace giving a The Master's College lecture on the subject of women discipling women, and a Susan Heck lesson. Ditto. No zaniness in sight and all those aforementioned women were dignified, comporting themselves as the Bible says an elder female teacher should.

Are there times when Beth Moore is standing behind a podium speaking in a dignified manner? Of course. Her undignified approach to teaching is not 100% saturated with zaniness every minute. I am speaking of the preponderance of time, and I am speaking of frequently, and I am speaking of representationally. Remember, in 1997 in an interview with Baptist Press, Moore herself said she is obnoxious. She has not calmed down since then, and is in fact, worse.

Now when I see a crazy photo or screen shot of Beth Moore, I have determined for myself that it's representative of her usual teaching style. In my little exercise comparing Moore with Arthur, Peace, Fitzpatrick and Heck, it was startling to see Moore's antics compared to the other teachers. Dignity. Sisters, dignity is a highlight of any Christian woman. No, I'm not saying that we can't laugh or joke or have a good time. I'm not saying never to use props, but I am emphatically against them most of the time. The Bible is the only visual we need.

Christian women and especially teachers should be mindful of the grace that was bestowed on us and comport ourselves with dignity. A dignified posture is to be sought at all times, but especially when we are teaching about the Lord, who is the expression of dignity itself.




Comments

  1. I recently watched a YouTube video about celebrities who supposedly sold their soul to the devil and the resulting changes in their appearance and behavior. Most of them started out looking wholesome and fresh-faced, but they devolved into a fierce, wild-eyed, possessed-looking creature. When I looked over these pictures of Ms. Moore, they are not unlike the pictures of those 'possessed' celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remember having an excessively difficult time finding other essays, especially written by men, that confirmed what I saw and understood to be negative about her teaching. Five years later we all see..."
    Oh my word...story of my little discernment-ridden life! I just found your site as I was researching the dumb IF: conference movement and what a breath of fresh air you are to me! Thank you for your posts and the courage to "go after" those sacred Christian cows. I will be stopping by to read and comment often.
    Seriously happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      Thank you for commenting, I love knowing there are like-minded sisters out there! Sisters like you are an encouragement to me.

      I wrote a series on the IF"gathering and also one on Jen Hatmaker, which if you were searching I pray you found. Please do stop by often, I'd love to have you!

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I was wondering if the If:Gathering method of inviting 6 women, 4questions, and 2 hours is legitimate. When I first heard it I was reminded of the trend in cooking shows and books, 55 minutes, 5 ingredients, five dinners. The conversation questions are vague and I don't see anything deep unless you use a bible which seems not a part of the equation. Just conversation. So the idea that the conversations are man centered and not biblical centered is the issue that I see. If the questions were replaced by an inductive bible study of Romans then that would be biblical discipleship to those interested in knowing Christ.
    Blessings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not legitimate. The IF:gathering is false on its face. The premise behind the "If" is "If God is real..."

      satan taunted Christ, saying in Matthew 4:6 "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down,". "IF" indeed...

      Secondly, the way they focus on a social Gospel is illegitimate.

      The IF:table is a program where women who follow the false IF:gathering ladies gather for a set period of time to fellowship (usually with food) and connect with each other over several "deep questions" from verses in the Bible. On the one hand, it's great that someone has a plan or an outline of how to host a gathering in Christ's name that would not be solely social, but edifying as well. There are a lot of those around. What is sad is that this particular outline is produced under the umbrella of the IF ladies, who are liberal, emergent, display a poor hermeneutic, emphasize social Gospel instead of real Gospel, and other indicators that whatever is said or learned at these gatherings would not be a solid as one would like.

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth,
      Thank you for your insights re: the If Gathering.

      Above, you mention other plans or outlines to help with a Christ centered focus at an edifying gathering for wen. Can you recommend some that would help if we wanted to host such an event?

      Years ago our church had what we called Table for Eight, where we adhered for supper and discussion as a way to get to know one another better and to discuss various topics of faith, or to hear a faith testimony from a particular guest. Some at church have mentioned doing it again and any biblical resources or direction would be appreciated.

      Thanks so much!
      Lisa

      Delete
    3. Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for your question! I am getting resources together to answer your question and writing a blog essay solely devoted to a response to it, a counter to the IF:Table and how to host/conduct a small group Bible gathering. Should be done this week!

      Delete
  4. The main problems with Beth Moore (I was kicked off a "Christian" messageboard years ago mainly because of my comments about Beth Moore) is she is fake, superficial, and lacking maturity....and that can be said of MANY in today's "church". Many are looking for someone who will make them feel good, someone they can look up to, someone that "tickles their fancy" as well as their ears, and not Jesus, Jesus becomes a byline and afterthought. I find it very sad that the main body of what we call "the church" has degenerated to this. The few pastors that hold fast to the truth have very small congregations that are getting smaller and smaller, while people leave to find their "fix" of entertainment and frivolity.

    Jesus said it best: "wide is the way that leads to destruction and narrow is the way that leads to eternal life".

    Most would much rather join the crowd on that wide way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it sad as well, Susan. I am SO grateful I have the hope if Jesus in me and the prophetic knowledge as delivered in scripture of the blessed, glorified church to come!!

      Delete
  5. Do you think using these kinds of photos hurts the cause of the blogger who is pointing out her errors? If someone likes Beth Moore, she may think that the blogger is just trying to make her look as bad as possible, attacking her appearance more than substance, and not even read the article. From a video, you can capture some funny photos and expressions. Although, from what you said, these photos may actually be a more accurate representation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be damaging to the blogger. I think I mentioned in the essay that using inappropriate photos in a blog essay just to make fun of a subject or if they are out of context violates photojournalism ethics and is a poor Christian witness. On the other hand, I personally believe the balance has been tipped with Moore and these photos show an accurate representation of Moore's teaching style, which is biblically undignified.

      Delete
  6. Her words are even more disturbing, I think. She has recently said, promoting her message of unity, "the old ways of doing things aren't working anymore" and "it is very possible that what has satisfied you before will no longer satisfy you now." What?! Really?! A teacher of the Bible should know better. There aren't old ways of doing things...there's only one way...God's way...and He has plainly outlined it in scripture. Preach the word. Preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. That's it. And the Holy Spirit indwelling in you Who satisfied you before will no longer satisfy you? That's now enough? What's the replacement, Beth, please tell me?

    Very, very foolish, troubling words indeed. She's revealing her true face, in more ways than one. And if people can't see the mask coming off, then they are too wrapped up in her celebrity personality to be discerning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl,

      I recently saw that quote from Moore that the "old ways aren't working anymore" and I was astounded! Moore's decline is very rapid now.

      Delete
  7. The extreme aspect of her behavior and speech makes me think of two things: one, she is desperate to convince people of what she is teaching because so much of it consists of her own ideas. If what you are saying is biblical there's no need to act like that. Secondly she is trying to be entertaining and create excitement in her audiences. Again if what you are teaching is biblical and your listeners are Christians, they won't need or want to be entertained. The good teacher points to Christ and His word, not themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lead a weekly Bible study. At one time, we did Beth Moore studies, then I became more discerning. Now we don't mention her name, as there are those who are still here fans, it was her or me. I won't lead her material, or others like her. Makes me sad that some of my "sisters" don't how dangerous she is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a man. I would enter my name, but cannot keep up with all these accounts. It does not matter but I am also a Southern Baptist, and find Beth Moore to be very self-aggrandizing, silly, loud, in-your-face, and just not sound biblically. She has also been sucked into the world ecumenical movement, as will all who will not submit to the Lord Jesus Christ alone. My wife is currently using one of Beth Moore's teachings online with other women; I pray for the Lord to open their eyes to the deplorable indoctrination. It is difficult for my wife to understand my discernment for Beth Moore or so many false teachers, she thinks I'm only being critical--so I must pray for her to see it and hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment