Stirring up to good works

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, (Hebrews 10:24)

I like coffee. I like two cups in the morning, with creamer. Not in the afternoon or evening, just the two cups early then I quit drinking the bitter brew.

On vacation weeks like this one from school, I love having the time to sip it. On a workday morning, well, you know how that goes. Brew, pour, gulp, drive, finish gulping, hustle to work. Half the time the liquid doesn't even land on my tongue but gets hotly gulped right down the gullet.

On vacation mornings, it's the opposite. I have all the time in the world. The other morning I'd poured the second cup and was looking forward to languidly drinking it. I'd been to the grocery store the day before and had bought another jug of creamer. The coffee isn't the same without the sweet addition of the cream. Let's face it, coffee is bitter. It tastes awful. It's dark, sour, and heavy. But with the hazelnut creamer, yum.

I'd poured the coffee and cream and used a straw to stir. I was lost in thought, casually watching the cream that had sunk to the bottom, stirred up and blending with the dark roasted brew. As I stirred, the coffee lightened and sweetened.

The 'stir up to good works' verse came to mind. Without fellowship with the saints, we can tend to get dark and bitter. But the saints that stir us to love and good works, make the fellowship seem light and sweet.

In the fellowship of the saints, stir someone up to love and good works.


Comments

  1. Hello, Loved this so much! It is a great gift we can use to encourage another and stir them up to good works!
    Happy New Year!
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment