If you feel inadequate reading Pinterest, then DO NOT read this

I am reading the book "50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith", Warren Wiersbe. The blurb says,
Christians in the twenty-first century need encouragement and inspiration to lead lives that honor God. When faith is weak or the pressures of the world seem overwhelming, remembering the great men and women of the past can inspire us to renewed strength and purpose. Our spiritual struggles are not new, and the stories of those who have gone before us can help lead the way to our own victories.

I like the format, short biographies of the greats. Something browsable, short, edifying that I can fit into my busy day. And then I read the first bio...and I nearly fainted and have not recovered yet.

Anyway, before I get to that, I read Challies' link to the following article The Gospel According to Pinterest and it reminded me of the bio in 50 Christians. It starts this way:
It seems I’m always one step away from being completely overwhelmed by social media. I’ve purged my Twitter and Instagram feeds and I’ve radically altered my Facebook settings. These changes have made social media more enjoyable for me. I can better process what I see. I don’t feel as if I’m dodging a barrage of words and images being hurled at me at lightning speed.

Pinterest is another story.

When I first created my account, I thought Pinterest was a wonderful idea. All those recipes, craft projects, and tips conveniently saved for later perusal. But “later” hardly ever came, until last week. 500+ pins, all testifying to my insatiable need to be better.

A better cook.
A better decorator.
A better homemaker.
A better reader.
A better student of the Bible.

Projects I will never tackle, recipes I will never cook, and homemade cleaning solutions I will never try - they all mocked me horrendously. Staring at all the amazing things other women are doing, I felt ashamed.
Sista, you haven't felt inadequate until you read Katherine Von Bora's bio. Not hardly. After you read her bio, you WISH you had Pinterest to mock you again. Talk about the short route to getting a hyperhousewifery complex. Proverbs 31 lady was a total slacker compared to Von Bora.

Her interesting story begins much before her nuptials to the famed reformer Martin Luther in 1525, but suffice to say, she came into her own as the quintessential diligent wife after her marriage.

Living in a monastery? Why let all that room go to waste?! To boost their income, she made use of the rooms in the former monastery, running a guest house and offering room and board to up to as many as 30 paying students and visitors. She was 16years younger than Martin,


Of course, Martin Luther was busy reforming all of known Christendom. They were the original power couple.

Pinterest? If you will pardon me, I have 19 children to raise, an orchard to plant, some pigs to slaughter, household finances to balance, butter to churn, guests to attend, my husband's peers to entertain, vegetables to pick, fish to catch (and gut and clean and cook), theologians to confer with, and beds to change. I'm swamped.





Comments

  1. Lol, Mistress of the Pigsty!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A Proverbs 31 woman, who can find?"

    Apparently Martin Luther. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND all of that with out modern conveniences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment